Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Nothing New Under the Sun

Well, it turns out that others have already started on this idea I've had of a Digital Diet. Or something similar at least. It's called "Information Diet" which seems to have started out as a book, and now has a whole website devoted to it: http://www.informationdiet.com/

I've even started formulating an idea in my brain for a website where people could track their media consumption. At first I thought informationdiet.com did this, but as I've been browsing around the website, I don't think it does. Rather, they suggest some software you can download in order to make your information consumption on the internet more efficient, such as AdBlock and SaneBox. So perhaps there still are a few new ideas I could contribute to this discussion after all. In addition to simply focusing on monitoring what we consume, I would also like to focus on monitoring what we contribute, with a focus on using the internet for meaningful contributions to society. Maybe I'll even contact the author Clay Johnson for his thoughts and a little "expert social feedback." But I should probably actually read his book first. :P I'll update you more when I do.

Until then, I recommend watching this video clip that explains a little bit more about Information Diet:

2 comments:

  1. You should absolutely try to contact the author. I'm currently trying to get in contact with some photographers in Singapore and Copenhagen for an article that I'm working on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really?! That's awesome. What are you looking for exactly? I actually served my mission in the Denmark Copenhagen mission. So if you need any translation help or anything, just let me know. :)

    ReplyDelete